Tuesday, January 09, 2007

For Your Consideration

Well, the holidays are officially over. I managed to go out every night for the past week just to pretend that they weren't. But it's back to reality - back to sunshine, sunglasses and 80 degree weather. Since my return, I've noticed something funny about the town of Los Angeles. Billboards have gone up all over town reading "For Your Consideration" above a movie poster of various films that have been released throughout the past year. Coincidentally, I just learned that there is actually a movie out right now with the same title. I haven't seen it yet, but am now really intrigued, because the entire notion of these advertisements completely baffle me. My entire life, I figured that winners at the Golden Globes and the Oscars were chosen internally by a selective and qualified committee of individuals. I guess they still are, but are the motion picture studios REALLY advertising and trying to sell these people on their films? I mean, is direct advertising on the Sunset Strip impacting these decisions? And are there that many people voting that it requires getting a $50,000 billboard? Apparently, there is and if anyone knows anything about how this all works, I'd love to know.

No comments: