Monday, December 11, 2006

Christmas, California Style

I love Christmas. SO much. I don't know if it's because it my mom's favorite holiday, and I was always forced to help decorate the entire house, or if it's just the warm fuzzy feeling that I get listening to Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole. I have been trying my best to get in the Christmas spirit - but I'm finding it really hard being out in California. When it's so warm out, Rudolph and Frosty just don't look the same. I keep asking myself, is it really December??? It sure doesn't seem like it. So I've been trying to investigate new and creative ways to celebrate Christmas, California style.


Most people, like the Griswald's, decorate their homes with spectacular lights. But did you know in California that they have Harbor Parades? Instead of decorating their homes, people decorate their boats and yachts and peruse around local harbors. And in most places, Santa shows up on a sleigh - but in Santa Cruz, he arrives on a surf board instead - red (with white trim) wetsuit and all! And don't forget about Disneyland, where Mickey decks himself out everyday in December for the Disney Christmas Parade.





Oh and I've learned to love another thing - outdoor malls. I never knew how much I could fall in love with an outdoor mall. Fresh air in between stores, outside kiosks to catch your attention, and either sunshine or the glow of the stars to keep you going during that last hour when you think you've just about had it with the holiday crowds. I recommend this experience to everyone.


But it's just not the same. No matter where you end up, I think that Christmas is definitely the one time of year that your roots stick with you. I cannot wait to get back to Pennsylvania to (hopefully) see some snow and cuddle up by my fireplace there. Mom's cookie tray is waiting, and there is nothing in Cali that can compare to that. December 22nd could not come soon enough!

No comments: