Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Networking Debate

First there was Friendster. Then in grad school, Facebook blew up. But at that time, you could only be a member of Facebook if you had a college "edu" email address. So many educated twenty-somethings turned to MySpace.

Then something radical happened: Facebook opened up its membership to the public in September of this past year. And now, I think that many will agree with me when I say that Facebook is BACK, and better than ever.

A friend sent me this article below, and I find it very intriguing. It talks about the social classes of our country and how they are divided online. I believe what this student says is profoundly true. When I log into Facebook, I see my friends from UPenn, Harvard, and have access to the Ivy Alumni Network. When I log into MySpace, I see friends... but I also see pages filled with promotions and pages that can't load due to jumbled graphics, etc.

If you are interested in these networking sites, and the debate that compares them, check out this article at the following link:
http://www.danah.org/papers/essays/ClassDivisions.html

I am a HUGE believer in online networking in this day and age, so regardless of your online preferences, I think that it's important to be associated with at least one of the networking sites. It's important to make sure that you don't fall off the radar for social and career purposes.

I'm going to keep all of my accounts for the time being. But I will declare that Facebook has me back in a BIG way.

No comments: