Thursday, June 28, 2007

SICKO and the US Healthcare System

Michael Moore's latest film SICKO will be released this upcoming weekend to nationwide audiences. I'm not a huge fan of Michael Moore and his antics, but I have been anxiously awaiting the release of this film. Today, I want to encourage everyone to see it because the issue of health care in this country is affecting millions of Americans on a daily basis. I take a lot of interest now in the subject because this topic has personally impacted my own family to a huge extent, costing us thousands upon thousands of dollars. Whether you are a Democrat or Republican, this is a huge issue that will likely impact you at some point in your life. The costs of health care, and the unbelievable amounts of money that are needed to get prescription drugs in this country are absurd. Now, I don't want to rant too much about the drug aspect because I know that I will offend all of my friends back East that work for major pharmaceutical companies. But I will say that I think they are partly to blame as well (yes, I know that they are a great place to work, I know, I know. I'm not saying that). I just think that it's very wrong to push drugs on people the way that they do at times, because I know from personal experience that many times the drugs are not needed and cause more damage than good. Drugs can obviously be a good thing, but there is a fine line between what people really need and what sales reps are pushing and/or what doctors are prescribing on a daily basis.

I just hope that people will learn about the issues at hand for the upcoming 2008 election. For example, did you know that because I now have a pre-existing condition that most insurance companies will not even cover me? I have to pay almost $500/month for health insurance, only for myself. Think about that. That's $6,000/year. I've had to go through enough already, is this really what I should have to deal with now? This is only one example of how so many people are impacted by the corruption of our countries health care system. All I'm asking is that you take note, and learn about the issue. It may not affect you now, but it could in the future. I'm worried about our future. There are so many good people in this country that are unfortunate enough to deal with illness, they should not have to worry about astronomical medical payments on top of everything else.

And if the policy doesn't change in 2008? Well, maybe I'll just find a nice Swedish boy to marry.

No comments: