Monday, June 18, 2007

Music and More

This month, I'm focusing on music. For work and for play. I love the music scene in creative LA. It's the best in our great nation, with Nashville close behind. Los Angeles has the most ridiculous radio stations (no need for Satellite out here, there are too many to count) and the best part about it is that all the famous DJ's that you think only do weekend shows on the East Coast... well, they are all actually the morning talents out here. Ryan Seacrest, Rick Dees, Leeza Gibbons, etc. On-air interviews with celebs and rock stars happen at least 4-5 times a day, and celebrity news that you read in US Weekly breaks on-air (sometimes with celebs calling in) at least 2-3 days before it hits the national circuit. There's even an Indie station that lets celebs guest DJ. My favorite time to tune in is when John Cusack is spinning on Saturday afternoons on 103.1.

One of my favorite things to tune into are the album release shows that LA stations host on a frequent basis. The bands come in, and play their albums the week of their release. The bands typically explain what they were doing when writing each song, and you get to know them a little bit better. Today on the radio, for example, I got to hear Lifehouse's album release show, which I'll let you know was damn good. If you liked The Fray's last album (which I loved dearly before it went mainstream), I suggest you check out Who We Are later in the week.

I'll be posting a few music articles soon, but in the meantime, there are a few things about music that have crossed my mind in the past few weeks. First, has anyone heard the new Bone, Thugs and Harmony song? It's fantastic. My friends and I used to love them in high school, and they are back with vengence. Way to go guys. I guess I don't have to listen to First of the Month anymore to get my fill of you when in withdrawal. Second, I want Carrie Underwood to be my best friend. Seriously. That song where she keys the car because he cheats is unreal. She has come a long way from Idol, and I want to hang out with her on a daily basis. I must say that I appreciate girls who aren't afraid to be a bitch. Third, I freaking love country music now. I don't know if it's because I'm older and I long for a more simple lifestyle, but modern country is great. There, I said it.

And lastly, I just found out that we have a karaoke machine at school. It was like the day that I found out Santa wasn't real. Nothing will be the same ever again. I think that there is no better way to teach my students English than with a little Bone, Thugs and Harmony, no? Well, maybe not BT&H, but some Journey certainly can't hurt. You SO wish that you had me as a teacher. Trust me on this.

No comments: